Did you know…?
1. 74% of all British adults have had a tooth removed
That works out to more than 60 million adults who have lost a tooth.
This can be changed with regular visits to the dentist, so why not book a check up today?
2. 27% of people only visit their dentist when they have a problem
More than half of us have admitted that we wished we had care for our teeth better when we were younger. Prevention is almost always better than cure, this is certainly the case when it comes to teeth.
3. Only half of Brits are happy with their smile
A survey from the British Dental Health Foundation found that discoloured or crooked teeth are the biggest reasons people are unhappy with their smiles. However not many ask their dentist about what can be done.
4. One in 10 would cut oral care products from their shopping list for financial reasons
Keeping your smile maintained is relatively cheap with a tube of fluoride toothpaste costing as little as £1 and a toothbrush can be even cheaper.
5. A third of children are starting school with visible signs of tooth decay
Without action by Parents, Schools and Healthcare Professionals, , this figure will continue to rise.
6. ‘Healthy’ alternatives not always being what they appear
Some products that market themselves as healthy can in fact be as damaging to our teeth as sugar filled soft drinks.
Some fruit juices currently on the market, while being a good option for getting your five fruit and veg, contain more sugar than the same size can of some fizzy drinks.
7. Brits do not have the worst teeth globally
Research shows that a whopping 92% of American adults show signs of tooth decay compared to 28% in England.
8. Two thirds of people think an employer would overlook them for a promotion if they have poor oral health
When keeping your mouth healthy to get ahead at work means taking two minutes twice a day to brush your teeth, it is not much when you consider it really.
9. 14% of people are frightened to visit the dentist
Visiting the dentist ranked top in a poll on what make people nervous, this was more popular than people who found heights scary and nearly 10 times as many people are nervous of visiting their dentist compared to their doctor.
10. The UK tooth whitening market worth an estimated £40 million
Taking its lead from the US, the UK tooth whitening industry has soared in recent years and more and more people desire the ‘perfect smile’.
11. Only qualified professionals are allowed to carry out tooth whitening, by law!
It is illegal for anyone other than a regulated dental professional to perform tooth whitening. (don’t believe us, look here!)
12. Almost 2,000 people a year will die from mouth cancer
Cases of mouth cancer have increased by a third in the last decade yet awareness remains relatively low.
13. Many of these deaths can be prevented if the cancer is caught early
Mouth cancer appears in many different forms and affects all parts of the mouth.
It can appear as a painless mouth ulcer that does not heal normally or a white or red patch in the mouth.
14. Women smile more than men
In general women do actually smile more than men with studies showing this starts from when they are babies.
As the old adage is true, it’s easier to smile than frown.
If you found this interesting, why not check out our website which is full of interesting facts and information: https://www.orchardhousedentalcare.com